If your HIV self-test result is negative

If you live in Yukon Territory and your test results are negative, contact your Family Doctor or Nurse Practitioner for sexual health care and harm reduction information and support, or call Yukon HealthLine by dialing 811 or visit their website. Yukon HealthLine is staffed by registered nurses who can answer your health questions or direct you to someone in your community who can help you. If you need help finding a primary care provider, visit the Yukon’s Find a Family Doctor service.

If you’re using a satellite phone

If you’re using a satellite phone, call 1-604-215-4700 to talk to a HealthLink BC health services representative. Your phone call will be managed in the same way as all calls to the Yukon 811 service.

Accessing PrEP in Yukon Territory

Any licensed Doctor or Nurse Practitioner can prescribe HIV PrEP. You may undergo an assessment to evaluate your HIV risk.

You can also visit the Yukon Sexual Health Clinic or call them at (867) 393-6635.

You can also call 811 for information.

PrEP is now covered in Yukon. Learn more on the Government of Yukon’s PrEP webpage.

Accessing PEP in Yukon Territory

Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) is a way to help prevent HIV from being transmitted to an HIV-negative person who may have been exposed to the virus. You must start PEP within 72 hours of being exposed. This is different from pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP), which you start taking before and continue taking after being exposed to HIV. If you think you need PEP, visit the Whitehorse General Hospital emergency department or contact Yukon Communicable Disease Control.

If your HIV self-test result is positive

You can call 811 for health advice and information about HIV confirmatory testing, treatment and care, and harm reduction. 811 can also give you information on sexual health, testing for other sexually transmitted infections, and help you find local community-based organizations and service providers. You can also contact your primary care provider to schedule an appointment to discuss next steps.

You can also visit the website for the Yukon Communicable Disease Control

to find out more about their services including:

  • Case management, testing and treatment and referrals of reportable STIs, including HIV; and
  • Locum infectious disease physicians from BC that provide care for individuals with Hep C, HIV and syphilis (usually in person, but via telemedicine now).

About HIV confirmatory testing

You should see a healthcare provider as soon as possible to tell them that your result was positive so you can get the information and support you need to take care of your health. The self-test you took is a highly accurate screening test, however all HIV self-test positive results need to be confirmed by a lab test that your healthcare provider can order to give you a formal HIV diagnosis.

While there is no cure for HIV, HIV is treatable. People with HIV on treatment can live long, healthy lives. The medications used to treat HIV are called antiretrovirals. They prevent the virus from replicating and slow the disease’s progress. Starting antiretroviral therapy early can lower the virus in you to an undetectable level so that you can stay healthy, and so that you can’t transmit the virus to others. 

About HIV Treatment and Care

Schedule an appointment with your primary care provider to discuss treatment and care options or visit the Yukon Communicable Disease Control’s website.

If Your HIV Self-Test Result is Invalid

If the HIV self-test results are invalid, i.e., no visible control dot, this means that the test did not work. If this happens, you should:

  • Repeat the self-test with a new kit, and pay close attention to the instructions for use to ensure that the test procedure is conducted correctly.
  • If you’re part of the I’m Ready research program, you can connect with an I’m Ready, Talk peer navigator who will guide you through the testing procedure.
  • You can connect with your Family Doctor, Nurse Practitioner or a healthcare professional, or call 811 to find out about alternative HIV testing services.
  • You can also visit HIV411.ca, to find HIV testing locations near you.

Additional Sexual health related resources in Yukon Territory

Visit the Blood Ties Four Directions Centre for information on:

  • Education and prevention;
  • Harm reduction and outreach; and
  • Various programs and health services navigation.

Or visit the Yukon Sexual Health Clinic for information on:

  • Sexual and reproductive health clinics; and
  • PrEP prescriptions and follow up.

About harm reduction services in Yukon Territory

For information about harm reduction and related health and wellness, contact the Blood Ties Four Directions Centre. You can also visit their Facebook Page.

  • Needle and Pipe Program at Blood Ties Four Directions Centre
    405 Ogilvie St., Whitehorse
    Weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
    (867) 332-8268
  • Outreach Van
    Every night from 5:30 to 9:30 p.m.
    (867) 334-1647
  • In Yukon communities, please contact your local Mental Wellness and Substance Use Services Hub or Contact our Scale Up Coordinator at 867-332-8269 and they can direct you.
  • For withdrawal services, please visit the Government of Yukon’s information about getting help with alcohol or drugs.